Monday, April 19, 2010

Never be old


Botox cannot solve the world's problems.

Having watched a few seasons of Nip/Tuck, I am fully aware of that. We are aging rapidly--fine lines turn to wrinkles, dark hair turns grey, and the world fades before our eyes. Time marches forward, dragging its hapless victims along as they scream, scream, scream and desperately apply moisturizer.

I don't want to age. In an ideal world, a vampire would come bite me, and I could go sparkle and find my Bella and live in Twilight land until Jesus Christ returns to take me home. I've mostly given up on this vampire idea--I'm pretty sure that real vampires are just creepy people who drink their friends' blood and call it supernatural.

Although I have resigned myself to the idea of aging and am even a little excited for those bus tours the elderly take, I will not submit to the idea of being old. Being old is the antithesis of everything I want to be. Old means tired, worn-out, and stuck in a rut. I want each day to be a fresh experience, filled with new faces, new friends, new food, new clothes, new challenges, and new cups of coffee.

If Dante is right about Hell, (and sometimes I think he might be) I would be stuck with Sisyphus, pushing the same old boulder up the hill and having it roll back on me for eternity. I cannot bear spending the rest of my life stuck beneath the clouds of the mundane and never again feeling the warm sun of ingenuity.

The truly old people are those who sit quietly in their rooms on Saturday night, who are satisfied with the three people they know, who cannot dream of anything past their nose, who have no curiosity for the unknown, who are afraid to take a stand or stick their necks out for what they believe. Quite frankly, "old people" dull me, and I would rather vomit than pass an hour trapped with them in their cage of blah.

Aging is inevitable. Never be old.

2 comments:

  1. I feel as though you are slightly too harsh on people who are not quite as adventurous as you. Perhaps they have great pleasure in having three extremely close and dependable friends whom they have spent many hours cultivating rich relationships with, rather than a large group of acquaintances who they feel uncomfortable with. I agree, I don't relish the thought of always doing the same thing forever and always, but there are people who find great joy and comfort in their routine.

    I don't think it is fair to label people old just because they find joy in different things...although we may not understand it, they obviously do it for a reason.

    Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some good points, Rebecca. If you follow my blog as it continues to develop, I think you may notice that I tend to exaggerate and be a bit dramatic.

    ReplyDelete