Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lady Lauper


Donald Trump has made my life better.

While that statement borders on the absurd, I plan to back it up. A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon the Celebrity Apprentice with my roommate, and we watched the first episode together at 1 AM. Since I was not even aware that the Apprentice was still even on television, I began watching with low expectations.

Despite my low opinion of the show, I soon found myself fascinated by one of the "celebrities" on the show. I put "celebrities" in quotes because I had only heard of two of the competitors before watching, and one of them was the disgraced former governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich.

Never fear--old Blago wasn't the one who caught my interest. The charmingly bizarre Cyndi Lauper grabbed my attention and still has not let it go. I have been aware of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" since my junior prom, but I never put much thought into the singer behind the music. Now I'm thinking about that singer a lot and singing "True Colors" in the shower.

Cyndi's greatness goes beyond musical talent. She is a style icon and lives in her own quirkly universe Her "True Colors" video showcases crazy hair and costumes which play with color, shape, and texture. Despite her styling, Cyndi still comes across as real and genuine, as a real woman who knows herself and is confident in the life she lives.

Cyndi reminds me of my other favorite pop star, the Fame Monster herself, Lady Gaga. Much of what Gaga has done reminds me of Cyndi's old music videos. Lady Gaga herself has said that Cyndi is a lot of her inspiration and that is evident. The two New York girls recently joined forces to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS in women.

In contrast with the laid-back and carefree Cyndi of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", Lady Gaga's style vibrates at a much higher fashion plain. Gaga brings an intensity with her pop--even in her more relaxed songs, like "Paparazzi," there is a drive that Cyndi never displayed. I do not think that Cyndi ever set out to be famous--Gaga has carefully planned her rise to the top and will leave a powerful legacy that may outshine the great Cyndi.

Lauper may "just want to have fun", but Gaga just wants to be famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment