Friday, May 21, 2010

Hasta luego, America!


I am going to Spain today.

My father is driving me to the Sioux Falls airport where I will board my plane and fly to Minneapolis, then Amsterdam, and finally end up in Madrid where I will stay for a few days. At this point, I am excited but tired after packing so my enthusiasm is a bit suppressed. I quit caffeine for over a week to reset my system and lessen my dependency, but I as soon as I start taking it again, my pep will return.

I am studying abroad from May 21 to June 29 in the beautiful city of Malaga, Spain. There should be an accent mark over the first "a" in Malaga, but I cannot figure out how to type that on blogspot. Malaga is on the southern coast of Spain, in the province of Andalucia. I will live in an apartment located half a block from the beach with a host mom and a roommate named Matt Mott from Texas.

During my stay, I will be taking Spanish Civ and a Spanish Lit at the Universidad de Malaga. My program, International Studies Abroad, also takes all of its students on weekend trips to cities like Granada and Sevilla. Interestingly, there are five Iowans doing the Malaga summer study abroad, more than any other state represented. Woot.

Once I arrive in Spain, I will blog more about what is going on in my new vida. I will attempt to not totally forget English and will do my best to respond to emails, tweets, texts, and facebook posts. Please do not forget me even though an ocean has come between us.

Goodbye America. See you in six weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Hey David! THis is Jeremy Smit, I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 person from UNI going to Malaga this summer. I work in the Study Abroad office, so I remember seeing that program name.

    Have a great time! I'll be sure to make a blog when I go to China in July. :) See ya!

    ReplyDelete